Monday, May 31, 2010

SMOKES ON A PLANE



My guess is that thanks to the EU, duty free tobacco no longer exists. The price is level across Europe - except in Britain which really does have to push the knife in and twist it in a smoker's back as punishment for daring to enjoy something the righteous tell us we shouldn't - and it's the same price on the boarding side of the airport as it is in Italian shops.

I reckon the best bargain I got was the above packet at three Euros for 30g. This pack of Elixyer tells me that it was made in the EU under the arrangement with the Western Tobacco Corporation, Newark (USA). I had to admit being mildy amused by the warning on the packet which says "strictly for smokers!". Another example of a waste of space. I mean, would anyone who didn't smoke buy this stuff or use it? I guess the manufacturers, or their masters in the EU, think we smokers are so thick we'd consider buying tobacco as a present for those who don't smoke.

I found Pisa airport, frankly, rabidly anti-smoking. There was a tiny tobacco shop, with products mostly hidden in a cupboard and only a random selection of not very popular brands like strong, dark Samson, or Old Holborn. Popular Golden Virgina was priced at five Euros for 40g. Not worth it so I got the light Drum variety and a hope for the best of a limited choice.

Pisa airport also fired off the "This is a Non-smoking airport" every few minutes. Like we didn't know. Duh!

This was pretty much the same as the Ryanair flight but there was a twist. Immediately after announcing that Ryanair operated a no smoking policy on all it's flights - yeah - it's the law Michael O'Leary - it then went on to publicise the new "Smokeless" cigarettes which it was selling on the plane.

"It's a long flight of two hours so why wait for a cigarette when you can enjoy a smokeless cigarette in flight," said the voice over the tannoy as the air hostesses were walking the aisle offering packs of these things.

I was rather insulted and would prefer that the plane took a nose dive than consider buying this tripe. Either smoking is acceptable or it's not. I won't take any part in the promotion of false cigarettes to make some businessman richer on the back of the persecution of smokers. It's why smokers who go rushing for E cigarettes annoy me so much. They really are letting the side down.

I watched to see how many people would take up this offer of being able to smoke trash on a plane. Happily no one did but plenty of people who came off that flight lit a real one outside of the airport.