Tuesday, December 1, 2009

WTF?

As someone who has now moved my political support from Labour to UKIP, I find that I'm often having to defend the party which is seen as a one issue irrelevance.

You can imagine my despondency when I heard last week that UKIP had offered to disband if Cameron's Tories pledged to hold a referendum on the EU membership - the only public test now worth having as everything else has been stolen and given away to self-interest unelected pocket stuffers.

WTF? Came immediately to mind and I wondered if UKIP is really serious about it's support for freedom and democracy which is just as much under threat from the UK Govt as the EU.

The one test for me of a free nation is how "free" it's citizens are to live their own lives - as long as what they do doesn't hurt anyone else. If they are not allowed to smoke, they are not free. It is as simple as that.

As most of the health propaganda about smoking is lies, and genuine concerns can be addressed in all sorts of ways without resorting to exclusion of a minority group, then this one issue defines freedom and measures it.

And what about Education, Education, Education? Home tutoring is under threat. I thought this issue was also of importance to UKIP? Imigration? Saving tax-payer's money by abolishing health quangos? Individuality? Need I go on?

That's why I was so astounded by UKIP's announcement. Of course I recognise that the EU and the lost independence of Britain is very important to UKIP which was founded on this one issue. But I honestly believe there are millions of floating voters who want something to believe in. Can they truly believe in UKIP now that they have, indeed, shown themselves up to be a one issue party.

A statement sent out by the party after the announcement said it never intended to disband, it just volunteered not to stand at the next election and risk stealing Tory votes. "Country before Party" the statement said.

I say be courageous. Change starts now and can only come with the breaking of this awful three-party alliance that doesn't allow for the people of this coutry to have a voice.

Will I still support UKIP? Where else can I go?

A piece here from Bloggers4UKIP gives more information to anyone who cares enough to read it.