Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A PARTY WITH POTENTIAL



I never realised quite how much was wrong with Britain until the blanket smoking ban made me look and the more I hear from UKIP the more I am convinced it is the only party that knows what needs to be done to put things right.

My generational party allegiance to Labour ended in 2007 as the party abandoned me for wealth and control. My left-leaning ideology naturally looked towards the Liberal Democrats for hope but I found it to be the same as Labour and of no real relevance to me, my life or that of my family.

With gritted teeth, I checked out the Conservatives under fluffy Dave with a sense of irony that it might now fit my views more than my old party that renamed and remodelled itself as Nulabour. I saw no difference.

UKIP was the only alternative to look at to ensure that me and my kind had at least some form of political representation in the country. I joined with little hope that it could achieve anything but I found a party filled with all that I recognised as familiar and relevant to the life I have lived as a British subject for more than 50 years.

There is nothing "Nu" about UKIP but it certainly is the new party of the people. It waits only for them to wake up and see that the old parties do not speak with their voice.

UKIP may not be perfect but it's strength lies in it's growth from the bottom up and it has the most charismatic leader than any other party.

The myth that the Lib Dems are somehow the third hope when all else fails has been shattered with the party's appalling performance given it's first taste of real power.

It lied about tuition fees, it lied about the freedom scam and repealing unpopular and oppressive laws, and it has shown itself to be thoroughly untrustworthy.

Perhaps that is why UKIP is now the third party in Wales. I suspect that with so long to the next general election, UKIP will gain ground, more people will hear its message and feel empowered by by getting involved and making a real difference, and it will be the third party of England too. I hope that the British electorate shows the current Coalition dictators how unpopular they are by voting UKIP in droves at the forthcoming council elections.

The above interview with UKIP leader Nigel Farage is well worth watching because he talks a lot of common sense. It's quite long and the sound is not great (at least on this computer) but I defy anyone not to be impressed.

He talks about tax, the EU, the adverse effects on EU migration, such as the British girl denied a factory job because she couldn't speak Polish, and he mentions the smoking ban, lifestyle choice, climate change, and modestly because he is asked, what he would do as Prime Minister.

That probably won't happen any time soon but I believe that one term, at least, of UKIP will shove those parties back towards their traditional roots and common sense policies. As the second party of the UK, it would be one that finally acts like a proper opposition.

Farage also makes traditional Conservative Party supporters squirm with his challenge to them to find anything familiar in the Nutories, which is Nulabour in different colours, and asks if Dave is really what they voted for.