Tuesday, August 3, 2010

TERRIFYING

I have been interested in the debate taking place over at David Milibland's site for leader and the comment below terrified me.

Asif Khan says:
August 2, 2010 at 11:02 pm
As a British Muslim, I feel offended that pubs still exist. The fact that many are closing is a message that Allah has spoken. Islam is rising in the UK and alcohol will soon be history.

I've rather got my fingers in my ears and singing la la la rather than accept such hatred of British culture. Some people may not agree that smoking is cultural but few can deny that the British pub has been a cultural plank of British life since Geoffrey Chaucer told his Pilgrim's tales on his journey around the ale houses of olde Englande.

I am saddened by the comment and cannot understand why people must force their culture and their views on others. I believe in live and let live.

As Oscar Wilde said : "Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live. It is asking other people to live as one wishes to live."