Thursday, August 27, 2009

FORMER HEROIN USER STOLE FOR HELP



A former heroin user stole sports jackets because he was told he could get help for his habit sooner if he was convicted of an offence, a court heard.

Lincoln magistrates were told that the 28 year old was seen by a supervisor in Sports Direct in Lincoln to take two jackets worth £41.99 each.

Kate Minihane, prosecuting, said the defendant pulled off the security tags and stuffed the jackets up his jumper before leaving the store.

“He damaged one of the jackets in the process of removing the tags,” she said.

“He said he had a £60 a day heroin habit and he was going to sell the jackets.”

The defendant who lives in a village west of Lincoln pleaded guilty to theft on August 7 and failing to surrender to court on August 24.

He told the court that he went to a drug treatment agency for help but he was told that if he wasn’t on a criminal order then it would take longer to get it.

“It could have taken up to four weeks. I had a drug habit which I couldn’t control. I’m now on methadone which I sorted myself. I had no way of funding my habit. If I could’ve got a methadone script sooner, I wouldn’t have done it,” he said.

Magistrates said they would take no further action on the failing to surrender charge after the defendant said he got his dates mixed up. He was given a six month conditional discharge and ordered to pay £41.99 compensation.