Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Wasteful Tax Credit System



First day back at blogging and I'm starting with a rant about the Tax credit/ working tax credit/ what-the-hell-you-want-to call-it-these-days-family-credit-system/ which seems intent on wasting taxpayers money.

So why am I blue in the face about this and ready to burst?

Well, I just did my good citizen bit after getting a letter in the Post from HM Revenue and Customs for a couple who don't live here. We've been in our house since 2006 but it appears the Tax office doesn't actually check where its claimants live.

The letter tells this couple how much they have been awarded in benefits and as they appear to be earning more than £53,000 a year, I'm amazed that the Govt can dole out another £493 on top of that.

Anyway, I rang HM Revenue and Customs to point out to them that there appears to be either a mistake made, or a fraudulent claim entered and approved, but the organisation cannot discuss it because of data protection. I am asked to "pop it back in the post and return to sender" and presumably hope that they don't resend it back. I am sitting here asking myself what is the point!

Actually, my anger is more to do with the fact that I have a headache from from the merry-go-round-automated telephone system which has eaten a chunk of my phone bill and had me hanging on for ages before anyone could be bothered to pick up.

The old family tax credit system introduced by the Old Tories was a much more effective and helpful system that truly did encourage people with children, and the demotivated, back to work, than the crap the underpaid have to fight their way though today.

Hrmmph!!!!