Thursday, January 7, 2010

THE LAST DECADE OF GOVT BULLYING ?




I was sent this radio broadcast today by Patrick Basham, from the Democracy Institute with his predictions for the decade ahead.

Patrick reckons there will be a dramatic growth of people who are not willing to be pushed around by the state and they will resist if the pressure to abandon their pleasures such as smoking , drinking and eating "unhealthy" food does not stop.

The battle he says will be the individual against the institution.

Another guest on the show, Celia Szusterman from the University of Westminster, agrees with Patrick's view on the future but guest Said Khan from the University of Detroit, did not. He said he disagreed there was a move towards the bully state and said people saw Govt as the "nurturer."

I wonder if he drinks, smokes or is somewhat overweight and if he lives here and not in the US. If so, I fail to see how he couldn't agree with Basham.

I guess we will have to wait and see but fingers crossed. I, for one, want my life back and I want to be accepted in this country that I have lived and worked in all my life - beginning with being born in a war zone in Cyprus because my English smoking father was fighting for Britain.

You can listen to Patrick's predictions here : http://democracyinstitute.org/Media/Patrick_Basham_BBC_World_Today.mp3