Wednesday, September 8, 2010

LIFE STRANGER THAN FICTION

It's been two long years and a lot of hard work but my creative writing MA course at Nottingham Trent University has ended.

The dissertation is finished and it's handed in. I've sat back and rested, drank red wine and smoked in the garden and now I've had time to reflect about what I plan to do in future.

Thanks to help and guidance from my tutor Georgina Lock, my script turned out well and now I want to do something with it. I have a couple of scenes to edit and then it's ready to go out to an agent I have in mind. My fingers are very tightly crossed.

The fiction sessions didn't go as well during the course but I do intend to keep up this blog although it may be some time before I update it. Fiction writing takes me ages. My tutor Graham Joyce tells me I need to chill out about it and I think he's right. Now that the MA is over, fiction writing might be more of a pleasure because I have nothing to prove.

Being able to tell my stories in the medium of screen writing is giving me a huge buzz. I want to get my finished 90 minute piece sent off by the end of this week and then I'll be busy organising myself for daughter number one's wedding in mid October. Another reason to make short-story writing wait.

Meanwhile, I'll be checking out this site to find a hotel that will welcome me during my stop-over immediately before and after the big event.

Being a smoker in these modern times means that life really is stranger than fiction at present.