Thursday, September 30, 2010

RIP TONY CURTIS




I was sorry to hear of the death of actor Tony Curtis but surprised to hear he was a bit of an anti-smoker according to Michael Caine.

Caine tells of how Curtis once grabbed his fags and threw them in the fire after telling him he should quit for his health. I know how I would have reacted if he'd done that to me. I'd have told him he owed me a new pack.

It doesn't look as if my hero was too much of a puritanical arsehole though because according to Caine, he saw Curtis some years later having a good time while smoking cannabis.

Funny that. Marijuana has a much higher tar content that tobacco - although granted people might smoke less - and one would have thought the health zealots would have been well onto it by now.

But then perhaps they are