Monday, October 10, 2011

EXCELLENT!



One of the best memories of the festival I work at each summer for my ticket was last summer when viruoso guitarist Jon Gomm played.

It was raining and a bit cold but I was oblivious to the weather as I sat completely spellbound by Jon's guitar playing. I felt shivers literally running up my spine and it had nothing to do with the drizzle settling in around me. If you watch the YouTube video linked above, then you might just feel what I'm talking about.

One person who commented on the performance posted up on the site understands - judging by what he or she said : "This one leaves me speechless. How does a person have so many things going on at once , but can make them flow together so beautifully? The world needs more of this!"

Jon is playing Passionflower, the first in a series of singles he is releasing on his own record label Performing Chimp. The musician is a committed independent artist and the label is owned jointly with his wife and manager Natasha Koczy.

Jon says the inspiration for this track, which is pay what you want download, is about a plant he grew in his 10-feet-square backyard in the Leeds inner city area.

He said :

"I put the seeds in a tiny tub, but it grew like a Roald Dahl story until it took over the whole yard, then one day the sun shone extra hard and 100 flowers all went "Pop!". It was amazing, so I wrote a song for it."

I have two of his albums and I'm really looking forward to the release of the singles. The next in The Domestic Science Singles Series will be out on Saturday October 29th and the launch will be at the Leeds Guitar Night. Tickets are available HERE

To download Passionflower check out the links HERE

Jon played recently with another of my favourite independent artists Matt Stevens who has recently released a new album called Relic.

*Pic by Natasha Koscy

I've never seen Matt perform live and unfortunately I missed the gig he played at Round Midnight in London on Sept 28 where Jon's single Passionflower was launched.

I did enjoy this track below - Nightbus - taken from Relic and I hope you like it too. Independent artists like Jon Gomm and Matt Stevens are securing real music for future generations who would only have Big Record Label produced and manufactured pop tunes if the industry execs get their way. Both artists deserve your support so enjoy, share, buy and spread the word.