Thursday, July 15, 2010

NOT IN MY NAME

I am constantly fed up with the anti-smoking company ASH crowing that it speaks for smokers. It does not. It hates us.

It has literally turned my stomach to see their galling press releases that say such things "Smokers want more restrictions." No they don't and ASH does not speak for me or any other smoker.

This is the latest piece of propaganda that they have put out. Simon at Taking Liberties might think it's hilarious. Some might say desperate. ASH thinks it can trot out that somehow Big Tobacco is orchestrating the assault on the scam Freedom site when in fact the only orchestrating done on this issue is by ASH - the scam charity - instead.

And ASH's claim to speak for smokers is an insult, it's laughable. Politicians who believe this crap are even more stupid than I thought.

Let me make one thing clear - and I know it's how a lot of smokers feel - I hate Big Tobacco almost as much as ASH. If I could find a way of growing my own so I didn't have to put any money in BT's pocket then I would.

BT has done nothing for the smoker in standing against the smoking ban. They make more money from smoking bans because they are good for getting people smoking. In every country where bans have been imposed, smoking rates have gone up so why on earth should BT back our stance?

Back off ASH. You don't speak for me and you don't ask for more restrictions in my name.