Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A RANT ABOUT WATER



Sometimes I can be thrown into an utter state of ranting and swearing by the simple act of a letter from a huge organisation that makes me feel completely out of control of my ability to make my own choices.

A few weeks ago, for example, my water supplier Anglian Water, wrote to all households in the area to say they were coming to fit a water meter. Eh? I thought. No-one's asked me about this and one thing I know is that I don't want a water meter, not now, not ever.

You see I have this idea that water meter equals rations and I'll still be charged through the nose for it. I won't change my mind. When we moved a couple of years ago, we looked at various properties and some we discounted because they had water meters. We didn't want one.

Anglian Water said that once the meter was fitted, if we didn't like it we could change our minds. Hmmm. It all sounds very simple but having been a customer of AW for about two decades, one thing I know is that the customer does not come first. If they did, for example, then they wouldn't screw us for payment of water that we haven't even had yet. We have to pay a year in advance OR ELSE!

So, I'm thinking, once AW gets everyone on this meter, and time passes, and I'm the only one who decides I don't want it will they change it back? I'm sincerely doubtful. Choice, over time, will be gone so I'm not even going down the road into eventual forced compliance because I've allowed the means to use that force in my house at this stage.

I phoned the water company to tell them of my views.

"It's my house. I own it. And I don't want your meter," I said. "I'm also responsible for the pipes outside of my property so don't even think of touching them to create your meter network."

The person who took the call feebly indicated that all she could do was make a note on the file and there I left it.

Yesterday, I received yet another letter from AW telling me, along with other residents, that I had to be home on a certain day to meet the contractors who would want access to my property and grounds to do a survey before my meter is installed. That's where the swearing and ranting came into it. Grrrr.

I rang the contractors. No note on file. I explained my position and warned them that should they come within an inch of my grounds or property I'd have 'em, for trespassing and if they touched my pipes, I do 'em for criminal damage.

Again it was explained to me that I had a choice and if I didn't like the meter, I could change back. I told him I didn't care. My mind was already made up. He tried to persuade me that just allowing a little survey to be one wouldn't hurt. I said I didn't want a meter, not now, not ever, so no point. I again warned him that should his people come any where my property, I'd sue.

He said he'd make a note on file.

On re-reading the second letter from AW, I noted the small print which did indeed say that if I didn't like the meter once it was in, I could change back. But - and there's always a "but" - if I move into a house already fitted with one, then I can't have it changed.

So, AW intends to put water meters everywhere, pretend the householder has a choice, and then pull that choice from them once they have normalised meter use.

I'm afraid I can't be persuaded by any nonsense about lack of water in reservoirs either in a country where it rains almost all year except for about a month of scorching weather dotted through summer if we're lucky.