Wednesday, July 7, 2010

WRITE TO KARL OR YOUR MP

Below is my letter to my local MP Karl McCartney. If you feel able to write to him or your own constituency MP in support of Brian Binley MP's EDM then please feel free to amend this to suit.


07 July 2010


Dear Mr McCartney,

I write as your constituent to ask that you support Brian Binley MP and his EDM on an amendment to the current blanket smoking ban. The details of Mr Binley’s motion can be found here :

EDM 406 (Review of smoking ban in pubs and clubs)

I would also ask to draw your attention to the two attached documents. One is a report following a speech I made at last year’s UKIP conference, on the public cost of Smoke Free and it’s effectiveness, and the other which contains musician Joe Jackson’s 10 reasons why the smoking ban is wrong.

You may recall that I have contacted you twice about this issue already. The first time was before the election and before Douglas Hogg, my former MP, retired. Several people had written to Mr Hogg protesting about the unfairness of the ban. I wanted to forward you those letters after Mr Hogg announced he was standing down but I was unable to get them back.

The second time I contacted you was to say that I would dearly have liked to have voted for you but for your Party’s silence on the smoking issue. I aligned my support with UKIP ultimately as the only party to say openly that they intended to treat smokers humanely. I know of other former Labour and Conservative smoker voters who have defected to UKIP solely on this issue. It really does matter.

I can also put you in touch with a former Lincoln pub landlady who did give Ms Merron a petition with hundreds of signatures against the ban that was ignored by the previous Govt.

I hope you will able to support the above EDM and I ask that you reply to my letter with your voting intentions. This will help me to decide who I support in the event of future elections in Lincoln.

Yours Sincerely,

Mrs Patricia Nurse.

You might also want to lift some figures from Dick out and about at F2C to add to your letter.