Sunday, November 21, 2010

SAVE TAX - SEE THE WORLD





Since becoming part of the Resistance Movement I've travelled to more countries than I ever would have done and part of the joy of planning my next personal allowance baccy trip is deciding where I'd like to visit next.

After one trip a couple of years ago to Budapest, I thought I'd try Eastern Europe again because I loved the free loving attitude of those who recognise oppression when they see it after decades of living under Soviet Rule.

I began toying with the idea of Poland and Gdansk seemed a good bet until someone pointed out that it's bloody freezing at this time of year. A Polish friend my other half has made in the town where I'm currently working, told of how he once had to jump out of a five storey building window to help dig the lower floors out of the snow.

I think I'd still like to visit Poland but I'll wait until my next trip abroad in Spring when I'll need to stock up again.

Meanwhile, inspired by Dick Puddlecote's trip to Prague I've decided to make that my destination. I go next week and return five days later.

I'm slightly disturbed that Dick didn't find any baccy on sale even though there were plenty of cigarettes and very cheap ones too. An internet search tells me that as long as I don't buy my rolling tobacco from the airport then I should be able to get it for five Euros a pack. I'll report back after next week on how the search went.

I don't mind buying fags if I have to. After all, they can be more economical. When I was a young skint mum, I used to smoke just 70 fags a week because I'd break them up and roll about four fags from each tipped cigarette thereby making my smoking experience affordable.

I'm also taking on board ASH's own advice. They crow about how saving the money from quitting smoking can lead to a nice little holiday at the end of the year. By being part of the Resistance, I've found that the tax I save does indeed amount to a nice little holiday - but more than one each year.

My trip with cheap flight and accommodation for two people is just over £300 all in. I will be spending about £300 on my personal 3k allowance. The money I'll spend in Prague would have been spent here during a week off but then there is no point in smokers holidaying in the UK anymore. The NuGovt doesn't want my £300 tax every four months or so. Prague is welcome to it. Anyone would think the UK wasn't skint because of the way it can afford to lose smokers' tax.

Spain is still on my list of countries to visit and I'll get there eventually - perhaps after Poland in Spring - maybe even next winter because I hear the climate at this time of year is great.

I would bet that the Govt is losing about £1200 a year in tax from me and I am not the only one in the Resistance who will not keep paying tax for the Govt to fund anti-smoker hysteria and Denormalisation.