Sunday, May 8, 2011

LEST WE FORGET





Source of image and HERE

It's been deathly quiet today, May 8th, 2011, on what has been the 66th anniversary of VE Day - the day that marked the end of Adolf Hitler, 1940s Nazism and the war in Europe.

I would have expected at least some acknowledgement of this mark in our history and I wonder why the media has been silent.

The other day I posted a piece about how I came across the grave of my grandparents on the internet.

I've since learned that my grandfather fought in WW1 and WW2 and died of his wounds in 1946. My dad also fought in WW2. He never talked much about his wartime experiences. I imagine it's the sort of thing you'd want to forget but can't.

They did their duty like millions of other men and women and it was hell. The only release from that hell was death or discharge but they did it to beat tyranny so that their children and grandchildren would be free. I think that deserves remembrance and a reminder of why the fight against modern Nazism and Fascism must continue.

Today the zealots who call for one nation, one country, one leader, are not behind Hitler but the unelected, appointed Presidency of the EU.